If my husband and I would like to have something in place in the event that one or both of us is placed into a home for medical care, what should be do?

My wife and I do not have any children. Therefore, we are not as concerned about probate issues as we are concerned about medical issues in the event that one of us becomes incapacitated. We have a living Will. What is the best way to handle our situation?

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need a durable power of attorney for health care which will allow someone you designate to make medical decisions in the event you or your wife are incapable of making those decisions.
Since you don't have any children, is there a relative or a trusted friend, who could make medical decisions in the event you are incapacitated? 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.