What is my responsibility regarding expenses incurred after a bankruptcy filing?

My wife and I divorced 2 years ago. We each own 1/2 of a co-op, however she got the right to stay there exclusively for 5 years and is responsible for paying the carrying costs while living there (according to our divorce agreement). I have not lived there for over 2 years now but I’m still on the title as 1/2 owner. Now I have received a very threatening letter from the co op’s attorney because she has not paid the common charges all year. I completed a Chapter 7 earlier this year. However the attorney’s letter states that I am responsible for the common charges from the bankruptcy filing date and forward. Can I be sued/and or have my wages attached over this?

Asked on October 4, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I hate tobe the bearer of bad tidings, but in most states, until the title to the property is transfered to the association or mortgage company after a foreclosure, you may continue to have liability for the unpaid assesments accruing on th eproperty. 

Property law varies state to state so I would advise that you contact local counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.