What to do if my wife and I are getting a divorce but I need her bank/financial information for tax preparation but she is refusing to give them to me?

How can I get them?

Asked on November 26, 2015 under Family Law, North Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to force someone to give you information or documentation when they won't voluntarily do so is through the courts. If you already have a divorce case in court, you can file a motion in that case to compel her to give you the documentation; if you don't already have a case, file one, and in that case, you can ask the court to require her to give you the paperwork.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.