If my wife and I are legally separated and I need to take her name off the business license, what do I have to do?

Asked on August 25, 2014 under Business Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If she is still an owner of the business, you would need either buy her out or have her relinquish her ownership.  Then, depending on which agency has licensed your business, you would need to submit change of ownership information to obtain a new license but before you do that, you would need to amend your ownership through the Secretary of State in your state. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.