If mywife and I are getting divorced and I am an heir to a trust upon the death of my father, would she be entitled to any of that if I died before the divorce was final?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This question is best asked to an attorney in your state.  But I think that if you plan this well the answer will be no.  By that I mean you could enter in to a settlement agreement where there is full disclosure and have her acknowledge the disclosure, acknowledge that the money is separate property as it is inheritance (it is in New York; check in Texas) as well as waive any right that she could possibly have - if any - to the money.  Then you could do a little estate planning hre and draw up a Will creating a trust and having the proceeds from the trust paid in to the other trust or something along those lines.  Follow through with your thoughts here: to think ahead.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.