My wife and I are getting a divorce, the children are not biologically mine however I am on the birth certificate as the father. Do I have any rights

We intended to have a legal adoption but never got around to it
because of lawyer and money issues. Would I be able to gain rights
even though I’m not their biological father. Since he has never been
part of their life.

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, if you are noth their biological Father and you have not legally adopted them then you have no obligations to them (such as child support) and no rights (such as visitation). If you have an attorney  - and I hope that you do - then I would speak to him or her about trying to negotiate visitation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.