If my wife and her brother inherited land in a trust and he wants to buy out his half, how does she go about this?

Can he quit claim his half to the trust?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you take the document to an attorney to review.  The present status and the terms of the trust will govern the disposition of the property to a great extent.  The trustee can help effectuate a sale of the property to anyone should that be an option, so one to the other of the beneficiaries should be fine.  There may also be tax ramifications that need to be addressed so you should speak with an accountant as well.   Just signing a quit claim deed is not the best way to protect your wife or her brother's interest in this matter and it may in fact cause havoc.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.