If my wife agreed to pay car loan on a loan that I signed for and the car was repossessed, is she responsible for remaining $8000?

She agreed in our divorce papers.

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

An agreement to take over, reimburse, pay for, etc. another person's debt is enforceable, including if the agreement is contained in divorce papers. So you should be able to enforce the agreement and make your ex-wife pay whatever she agreed to pay in the papers.

If you signed the loan, then the lender will look to recover the money from you--they can't go after your ex-wife if she is not a party to the loan. If you don't pay, they can sue you for it. However, you in turn would seem to have grounds to then sue her for the money she owes you, assuming that she does not voluntarily pay it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.