Can I sue if someone made a false allegation about me regarding my part in a crime?

Asked on July 22, 2015 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Making a false statment of fact (e.g. "John Doe was involved in a robbery") which damages your reputation can be defamation, and defamation can support a legal claim (lawsuit) for compensation (money). To have a viable suit, you would need to be able to 1) show that the statement was false; and 2) show that you suffered some loss or damage, such as loss of a job or job opportunity, loss of some position withiin your community (e.g. a prestigious volunteer position), damage to an important relationship (e.g. your spouse leaving you), etc. If you can't show some damage or injury, then even if the statement was defamation, you may not be able to get any meaningful amount of compensation; the compensation for which you are eligible is linked to the damage or injury you suffer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.