If my well and the equipment that pumps the water is located on a different parcel that I don’t own and someone buys that parcel, will I lose my well?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is a reasonable chance that you will lose the right to pump water if the new owner wants to deny this to you, and will lose anything not removable (they'd have to let you recover removable equipment): unless you have an easement to pump water, the new owner will not be obligated to let you continue to pump from his or her land, even if the old owner did. (You, of course, ask them to able to do this, and if necessary, offer to pay them for the right--if you do, get their agreement in writing and make sure you pay the rent or license fee or whatever it is called on time.) You could try to get a court to grant you an easement to pump water, but if you could get your water from any other source, including by sinking a new well on your own land (even if that if very expensive to do), the court is unlikely to do this, since they will not infringe on the other owner's rights if you have *any* options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.