If my wages just got garnished for my wife’s bill and I cannot afford to lose the 30% that is being taken, what can I do?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the current wage garnishment order that you are subject to is too burdensome for your to continue paying, you should either work a written agreement with the judgment creditor to reduce the monthly amount, and if unable to do so, file a motion with the court to seek its reduction. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.