What to do if my wages are being garnished for an account that I had 10 years ago?

I was advised to contact the courts for a copy of the judgement that was filed 5 years ago. Is there anything I can do to stop the garnishment, I asked for an debt validation which will prove the account is less than 7 years old and is legally owned by a debt collector and not by any other 3rd party collection agency. Since it’s been more than 7 years, can they still garnish my wages?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily judgment are good for ten (10) years and if not renewed before such a time period then they expire. You are correct to ask for some documentation showing that the judgment against you has been assigned by the judgment creditor to a third party debt collector. From what you have written about I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.