My vehicle was stolen on April 17, 2009, I had full coverage ,what are my insurance company responibilities?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Insurance Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you want to do is file a police report to report the incident.  You then want to contact you insurance carrier to report the incident and provide them with a copy of the police report. Placing the insurance company on notice is the most important thing.  The will follow it up from there and will explain your options.  I dont have a copy of your insurance contract so i am unfortunately not able to tell you what your rights under under the policy.  Your insurer, depending on the coverage should compensate you, but i again dont have your polcy so i am not able to give you a definitive answer.  If your insurance company fails to help here, obtain a lawyer and provide him with the policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.