If my unit caused water damage to the unit below, how do I protect myself?

My A/C unit drain clogged up causing light damage to the unit below. I have done everything I can to rectify the issue: I had a plumber clear the drain; I had the A/C inspected; and I provided the owner below mine with my insurance company information. All of the correspondence is now being done via email with the board CC’d on everything. I’m getting the impression that everyone wants this situation well documented. I don’t feel like I have anything to hide but I want to protect myself from a possible law suit. What should I do?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it appears you have done what you need to do to protect yourself from liability for the damage caused by the air conditioning unit to the lower unit by placing your insurance carrier on notice of the claim as well as the homeowner's association where you reside.

I would suggest contacting the claims representative for your insurance carrier to see what the status is of its investigation into your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.