Would it be appropriate for me to contact a law firm to determine if they administer the Trust of which I am a beneficiary of?

My uncle passed away 9 months ago, followed 3 months later by my aunt. While they were both living, they had told me and other people that they had made me beneficiary of their house in a revocable living Trust. They also had a son who would inherit a substantial sum of money. The problem is that the son is the only family member who has a copy of or seen the Trust. And as he has proven to be unscrupulous in the past, I am naturally wary. With a little detective work, I have found a law firm who I believe to be administer of the Trust.

Asked on August 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There certainly is no legal or ethical reason why you could not contact them, and, for that matter, no legal or ethical reason why they could tell you if they are involved in the matter--depending on the circumstances and what you ask (as well as their instructions), they may not be able to tell you more than that, but there should be no reason why can't either confirm or deny that they are involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.