What to do if my 2 year old son’s father is incarcerated for statutory rape and his parents are trying to get custody of my son?

They are trying to prove me unstable, which I’m not. They want custody of him until the father gets out. Could someone with that charge get full custody? What are the best documents for me to bring to court to prove I am a good mother and my son and has everything he needs?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a family law attorney to defend the custodial battle that lies ahead of you. You need to under understand that the grandparents bear the burden of proving that you are not a good mother in court. You do not have to prove that you are a good mother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.