What to do if my 2 daughters are named beneficiary’s on my late wife’s life insurance and now need to provide letters of guardianship/conservatorship?

My wife recently passed away. The insurance company says I need to provide letters of guardianship/conservator ship of the minor’s estate issued by the court. I am their legal father. How do I do this?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  While you are the natural guardian of the children, insurance companies often require that you go in to court to apply for lformal egal gaurdianship. I am going to give you a link that should help you on your way.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.