My toddler age children where involved in a car accident and I want to settle with the insurance company. Whats the best way to handle this case?

Recently, my 2 girls (ages 1 1/2 and 2 1/2) were passengers in a car that was rear-ended. The accident occurred in Las Vegas. However, we live in West Virginia. My wife took the girls to urgent care and the Dr. simply suggested they see their primary dr in WV. I do not want a long drawn out legal case. I simply want to settle with the insurance company. What’s the best way to go about this without getting low balled by the insurance company?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Accident Law, West Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to do this is to hire a lawyer.  Just because you hire a lawyer doesn't mean you have to sue;  the lawyer can do the haggling with the insurance company for you.  You're much less likely to get "low balled" this way, because the insurance company knows the lawyer will spot that, even if you wouldn't;  also, the lawyer should know how to make sure that your claim is fully presented (in terms of proof of loss).  There's a very good chance that you will end up with more money, even after paying the lawyer, than if you do this on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.