If my temporary 2 years green card expired and I am divorced, can I still apply for the removal of my temporary green card into a permanent one?

My green card expired last year right before I found out I was pregnant, during those days I haven’t heard any news from my exhusband about the divorce, so I can’t process my papers, I talked to hime online and said yes the divorced was granteed but I didn’t received the divorced papers so still I can’t process my papers without it. So, the reason why I can’t process it, it’s because I have no divorced papers with me, I was pregnant, got fired from y job because my green card expired and lastly, no money.

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can. The USCIS typically accepts late I-751 applications. We would need to put together a strong package detailing the reasons for the delay and proof of the marriage. I have processed many similar cases. Let me know if you would like a free consultation. harun@ksvisalaw.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.