What can I do if my teen doesn’t want to visit her mother for Spring break?

He is 16 and we live in another state. The case history is through his mother’s state of residence. Do I have to “make him go”? I was told by his mom that I would be in contempt if he doesn’t get on the plane.

Asked on October 26, 2013 under Family Law, Utah


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The only other thing you can do, other than make him go, is to petition the court that issued the order to amend it.  Perhaps some other arrangement can be made that would give mom some parenting time without forcing your teen to visit her home.  Perhaps they could meet up at some third location, some place fun.  But the judge is not going to want to take away all of mom's parenting time and it is not your call to do it without a change in the judge's order.  If you have reason to believe your ex is abusing your son when he is with her, then you should bring that to the court's attention immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.