If my supervisor threatened me, what are my rights?

My supervisor threatened to “kick my ass” and grabbed me by the arm twice after I asked him why an employee had the holiday off if it is mandatory that everyone works holidays. He was screaming at me and I pushed him away but he grabbed me again and I ended up filing a police report against him. I don’t know what to do next and I am afraid to go to work. He fired me on the spot but the owner later asked me to come in for my shift the next day which I did but I am scared to go in again if he’s there. The owner and the supervisor are in a romantic relationship and I don’t feel I can trust anyone. Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with a lawyer. You may have a cause of action against the supervisor for assault and/or harassment and/or for tortious interference with a business relationship--i.e. threatening you physically to interfere with your job. Also, it is possible that there may be a claiim for sexual discrimination, if the supervisor is getting preferential treatment vis-a-vis you do to his romantic relationship with the owner. While the exact claims you may be able to make will depend on the specific facts, there are several possible ones; it is therefore worthwhile to consult with an employment attorney in depth about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.