What is considered to be workplace harassment?

My supervisor is attracted to a woman at work. Recently, he saw me having conversations with her. Now he is telling another one of my male co-workers he plans to have intercourse with her, and is asking if I have had intercourse with her. I love my job but this is causing me a great deal of mental distress mainly if I take action and he doesn’t get fired I am quite certain he will retaliate. I’m wondering if there are any legal ramifications to what he is doing.

Asked on October 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Speak with an employment law attorney. Having someone of the same gender as you ask you about if you had sex with a coworker is not the typical sexual harassment claim, but the trend has been for the courts to expand what would be considered sexual harassment. You want to discuss the situation in detail with an experienced employment law attorney to see what your rights and options are, but be prepared that there is a reasonable chance that these facts do not give you any recourse. The woman might have a cla II m, however, basedon the other fellow's comments about her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.