If my stepmother lives in my late dad’s house but she keeps blowing me off about my rights to it, what should I do?

Asked on November 4, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should hire an attorney to represent you and bring a lawsuit to enforce your rights to your inheritance.  If the house is subject to a probate proceeding, you will want an attorney who works in the wills, trusts and estates field.  Otherwise, any civil litigation attorney will do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.