How do I go about probating a Will?

My stepfather passed away a few weeks ago. I have his Will naming me to receive his property’ I am his only living family. Do I need to hire a lawyer or does it have to be probated in the same county it was filed in. Please head me in the right direction.

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest you obtain the assistance of a probate attorney to assist you and who can be paid out of the estate assets, with the probate being filed in the county of where  death occurred/domicile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.