What can be done if my stepdad is mixing chemicals on a daily basis, like bleach and ammonia, and putting it in the A/C vent in order to get my mother to move out?

It is getting her sick. They sleep in different bedrooms and my mom usually has to leave the windows open at night to be able to breathe. Is there a way to press charges for something like this?

Asked on July 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can press charges for this: deliberate attempts to harm another person are criminal acts, and could constitute assault or even potentially attempted murder. You should contact the police immediately.

Also, if your mother chooses to divorce him, which she probably should, based on what you write, his actions may be held or counted against him in the divorce, in dividing assets or setting support obligations; that is, he may end up paying more because of his wrongful acts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.