What to do if my stepfather wants me to be in charge of his things after his death?

I am a stepdaughter along with another stepdaughter and biological son. What do I need to do to be assured to abide by his wishes? He does have me as beneficiary on his life insurance; he has a car, mobile home and checking account along with personal items.

Asked on November 15, 2013 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You stepfather needs to draft a will, which will delineate who will receive which assets and which also put certain restrictions on how they will be used (for example, he can leave money to be used only for education); and he can appoint you as the executor, or the person who administrates his estate. While a person can draft a will himself, wills are very technical and a small mistake can invalidate them or make them mean other than what the testator (person making the will) wants; therefore, your stepfather is advised to let an attorney help him draft his will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.