My step-daughter’s husband walked out on her and their 2 babies and is refusing to support them in any way. What is her best options to get a divorce

Who can she contact to get help she is not working and needs help right away.

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Family Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your step-daughter should contact the Indiana Department of Child Services:

Child Support KIDS Line: 1-800-840-8757 or 317-233-5437

They will be able to give her information about getting a child support order.

This doesn't start a divorce, although any support order would continue and become part of a divorce case once that happens.  She should talk to a divorce lawyer as soon as she's done the paperwork to get the support case moving.  One place to look for a family law attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.