What to do if my ex-wife is not ensuring that my son get his homework done?

My stepchildren live with their mother in another state. One of them is doing very poorly in school. We believe it’s because he has no time to study or do homework, because she takes them to church, tennis and volleyball 4 or 5 nights a week and drops them with sitters on the weekends so she can have a “social life.” She does not ensure homework is done; we have emails from the teacher and as a result the child is failing 3 classes. Is this a legitimate reason to take her back to court and file for custody? She has already told us she will not pull them out of church 4 times a week or any other activities. They usually don’t get home until 9 pm and then don’t apparently have time to complete school work.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the situation that you have written about with respect to the study situation of your son is to speak with him about the situation to see if your fears are true or not. If so, speak again with your son's mother and the need for homework to be completed timely.

If that does not resolve matters, then you need to contact your son's teachers and his school principal. What you have written about is an administrative, not a legal issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.