If my spouse was joint on a mortgage with his deceased mother who willed her half to his sister, how do we get her out of the house?

Her name was added to the deed under false pretenses but he is the sole owner on the mortgage. She now feels she and her fiance can just live for free in our home and they are filthy. They haven’t cleaned anything, including dishes they take upstairs and let rot. She also goes through all of our belongings while we are at work and has been caught taking money from our wallets. Do we have to live in this nightmare?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Okay you have a few different issues here.  First, if your mother in law did indeed Will her half of the home then she is a joint owner with the same rights as your husband.  Second, if your husband and his mother were both on the mortgage and sister inherited then she also takes it subject to the debt.  So she needs to pay her half (she and your husband can do so with out refinancing; it is an exception to the due on sale/transfer clause of the mortgage).  Next, what do you mean "false pretenses" regarding the deed?  It had to have been an executor's deed on transfer becuase of the death of the joint owner.  Please get legal help.  Ask a lawyer about an action for partition.  Buying her out is also a good idea.  The value of the house is as of the date of death of the mother.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.