If my spouse died 3 months ago but one of his accounts was in his name only, what do I need to do to access that money?

All of our banks were joint except one money market account that just had his name on it. The bank would not roll it over for me. He did not have a Will/Trust set up.

Asked on March 12, 2014 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are going to have to probate your late spouse's estate, which consists of assets that are in his name only.  You may want to retain a probate attorney in your area to assist you with doing that.  You will inherit the money, unless he had children with another woman, in which case they may be entitled to inherit part of the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.