Can the bank come after me for payments or mortgage deficiency if they foreclose on a house that I quitclaimed to my ex-wife?

My spouse and I divorced about 4 years ago. At that time, I signed a quitclaim deed to the house and she stayed in it. That year, I also filed bankruptcy. I just learned that my ex has not refinanced the house and cannot qualitfy to refinance on her own. It is very likely she will default on the loan. The loan is much more than the home is valued.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you filed for banckruptcy protection where the lender for the home that you acquired was named as a creditor and you received a discharge, then seemingly the lender is precluded from suing you for a deficiency on the loan in the event the subject home is foreclosed upon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.