If my spouse and I are filing for divorce in one state but I live in another, is it possible to do the hearing by phone?

We also have a child involved.

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Most states and counties in this country have a process where parties involved in a legal matter can appear at a given hearing such as a law and motion proceeding or a case management conference via telephone.

I suggest that you consult with the court clerk in the county and state where the dissolution action will be file if the court has a telephonic appearance system in place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.