What to do if my soon-to-be ex-wife is holding my personal belongings because she wants me to pay a credit card that is in her name?

Is she allowed to do this?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country your soon to be "ex" cannot legally  leverage you into paying her credit card debt in exchange for allowing you access to your personal belongings. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney as to either sending a demand letter to get your belongings or filing a petition with the court to get what is due you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.