If my soon to be ex-husband filed divorce papers under an alias name, can he get away with that?

He also had the divorce motioned back in court but the documents that were signed to be motioned back in court was not his signature, his girl riend who claims to be a lawyer filled out the form, and also forged his signature. I need some legal advice in order to take care of this matter, before we go to court. How shall I proceed? Who do I need to seek advice from in regards to this matter?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney concerning the dissolution filing of your soon to be "ex husband" where the filing was done under one of his aliases.

Under the law, for a marital dissolution to be effective, the names of all parties needs to be specifically set forth in any judgment of dissolution. Meaning, the legal name of the parties and all aliases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.