How would my son get joint legal custody of his son?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The ways for your son gets joint legal custody of his son is to have a family law attorney draft a stipulation and order to be signed by your son and the mother of the minor child and submit it to the court for filing in connection with a legal action.

The other way is if the mother refuses to sign such a stipulation is for your son with the assistance of a family law attorney to file a petition in the county superior court seeking an order giving him legal custody of his son.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Much more information is needed here but basically once parentage is established he can ask for custody and visitation rights.  If he was not married to the Mother of the child he needs to bring a proceeding for a DNA test to establish parentage.  I would strongly suggest consulting with an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.