If my son will be turning 18, will i still need to pay child support to his mother?

I am the non-custodial parent and have been paying support since he was born. Next fall, he will begin college. He will be dorming at school and not living at home.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Family Law, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your child support calls for only up to the point of 18, then you are not obligated to pay beyond that. If your child support order allows for college tuition payments (many states allow this), then you may be obligated.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your child support obligations will be ending soon depends upon what the last child support order issued states. As such, you need to carefully read this child support order and based upon what it states, your child support obligations will be ending or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.