What to do I if my son was stopped for DUI and possession of mariquana and drug paraphernalia?

He is 17 and instead of one citation they gave him 2 with 2 separate court dates and two separate courts. Is this right?

Asked on March 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is correct because the offenses are very different in terms of which courts have authority over them: DUI is generally handled in a more "local level," court, such as municipal (city) court, whereas a drug offense would be in state court. (Even if the courts are physically near each other, they are jurisdictionally and administratively separate entities.) You should retain at least one, possibly two, attorneys: a criminal defense lawyer, for the drug-related charge; and one who has experience with DUIs and in municipal court for the DUI. These might be the same person, but not necessarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.