If my son was shot while walking on the streets in our city and is now label disabled, can we sue the state?

Can I sue the state for his injuries? Is he eligible for compensation from any kind of victim’s rights fund?

Asked on July 22, 2014 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The question is, why would you be able to sue the state? The state did not shoot your child. Liability, or finanical responsibility for another's injuries, only comes from fault, and unless it was a state employee (e.g. a state trooper), the state does not appear to have been at fault. (Clearly, if you know who your son's attacker was, you may sue him or her.)

As for a victim's rights fund, contact your local prosecutor's office of the state attorney general's office to inquire into this; you can also check to see if there is SSI or some other disability/social security payment available for him. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.