What to do if my 19 year old son was served alcohol at a graduation party until he was severely intoxicated and ws injured?

My son attended a graduation party at his friend’s house. He was provided alcohol by one adult ther, and the property owners were providing alcohol to other minors. Later on, he was intoxicated and tried to walk home. His girlfriend decided to drive. He ran back down the road and stopped her. He got the keys and threw them so she couldn’t drive. She had a fit and screamed like he was hurting her. His friend who was hosting the party pulled him away from the car and hit him and at that point, he punched his friend back once and ended up fracturing his eye socket.

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You and your son need a lawyer...immediately. You need a civil litigation attorney who has handled litigation on behalf of minors (meaning underage drinkers, not legal minors) in such situations (private party and alcohol served or made available by the homeowners or those over 21).  All of the activity that stemmed from the drinking may or could be linked to the homeowners though I do not think your son can escape at least being partially responsible (i.e., gun was not pointed to his head to drink).  There has been a history of such events occurring in your state and it is considered an illegal act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.