What to do if my son was pressured into signing a gym membership when he was 17?

He paid the monthly fee for the entire year even though he only used the gym 2 or 3 times. Now the year is up and he keeps getting monthly bills in the mail (he tried canceling twice). It’s over $100 now. How do I get that debt off his record and also keep them from turning him over to collections and is there a way of getting reimbursment for what he paid prior to turning 18?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Business Law, Washington


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

he was not of legal age to contarct so he should be able to get out of paying the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.