What to do if my son was in an accident because due to construction the road he was driving on suddenly ended and the car careened over a large ledge?

The county was doing road construction but failed to place any cones, barricades, or any type of indication that the road was closed. The barricades where on the work site, but not placed in front of the cliff where the road ended. Should I sure the county road department?

Asked on June 2, 2014 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You *may* be able to successfully due the county *if* it is the case that it would be regarded as negligent, or unreasonably careless, to have not placed cones, barricades, etc. Consult with a personal injury attorney immediately--not only can such a lawyer give you the best idea if, under the circumstances, this was negligent, but there are strict paperwork requiements and short timelines to sue the government--if you should want to do this, you'll want to get started on it, with professional help, as soon as possible. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.