If my son was involved in an altercation while in London and we received a medical bill from other party involved, are we responsible to pay?

Both parties involved were under the influence of alcohol. No charges were filed.

Asked on August 19, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First, if your son was not a minor at the time, you would not be liable for any actions of his, regardless of whether  he was at fault or not--though he could potentially be.

As for whether your son is responsible, or you would be if he was a minor: the issue is fault. If your son was at fault in the fight--instigated it; or it was a "mutual" decision to fight where the other person did not clearly attack first, so that your son was only defending himself--then it is possible that he or  you would be liable for the other party's medical bills; in those case, even if no charges were filed, your son would be at fault. (Alcohol use does *not* provide a defense or excuse fault.) If you son was also injured or incurred medical bills and if the other person was also at fault (e.g. the "mutual" decision to fight), then you might be able to offset his injuries or costs against what you might owe the other party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.