If my son was injured in a car crash, is it a law that all monies from the settlement has to go in a trust until he turns 18?

Asked on February 20, 2013 under Personal Injury, Michigan


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is not necessarily true that all monies go into a trust or guardianship until your son turns 18.  I do not practice law in Michigan.  Depending on the nature of your son's injuries, his parents may have their own claim.  In addition, part of your son's award can be used for his needs until he reaches age 18.  Your son's portion of the settlement will be placed under a guardianship and used for court approved purposes.

I hope this helps.  Your son's attorney or the guardianship attorney can explain this in more detail. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.