What to do if my son was injured at school working at a school function for student government?

He was told to carry hot boiling water upstairs in a 5 gallon jug. The other kid that was helping him dropped his side and in turn the hot water ended up on my son. He sustained 2nd degree burns on his left food and 1st on his right. My son was the one to call us from his own cell phone. not the school. I never heard from the school until 5 days later when I called the superindentants office to complain about no communication, 45 minutes later the principal called. Now the school insurance comp is willing to pay for med bills and pain and suffering and neglect. How much is a fair amount for my son to receive?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Personal Injury, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney about the injury with boiling water he sustained. Ordinarily unless there is permanent unjury your son's injury settlement after all medical bills are paid should be 1.5 to 1.75 times his medical bills for pain and suffering. As part of the equation, the medical bills should be paid by the school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.