If my son was in an auto accident and didn’t have insurance and no fault was assigned on the police report, does he have to pay damages?

He was told at the scene that fault was with both parties involved; nothing stated on police report assigned fault. However, now the other party’s insurer wants payment for damages. What are his options?

Asked on March 5, 2015 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He can refuse to pay and force the other party and/or its insurer to sue him; they can win money from him only if they can prove by a "preponderance of the evidence" (more likely than not) in court that he was at fault; and if the other driver was also at fault, his/her fault can offset what your son might pay. The fact the police did not assign fault does not prevent the other side from suing and winning.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.