If my son was in an accident involving a fatality and the police recorded him, my husband and myself without telling us and now they are trying to use this against my son in court, is this legal?

If not, what can we do about it?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Accident Law, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the statements are admissible will depend on exactly how they were obtained.  If you were in a situation where you waived your privacy interests, then the statements would be voluntary.  If you were in a private setting, then you may have the right challenge the admissibility of the statements.  Your attorney needs to know the exact details of the recording and then file a motion to suppress to challenge the admissibility of the statements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.