If my son was hit by an underage/unlicensed driver in the school parking lot, what are his legal rights?

How can we collect money to get his truck fixed?

Asked on March 8, 2013 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the minor's parents (or other legal guardians), since they are generally responsible for the torts (harmful acts) of their minor children. If the car that minor was driving was owned by someone else (other than the parents/legal guardians), you can sue that person, too, if hes/she gave permission for the minor to drive--a person is generally liable for the actions of those he/she allows to drive his/her car.

You cannot sue the school: a property owner (including a school) is not liable simple because an accident occured on its property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.