If my son was hit by a school bus in a cross walk while riding to school but they say he was on the wrong side of the road, is there anything I can do legally?

They say he was on the wrong side of the rode but he was in a cross walk.

Asked on September 15, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you believe the bus driver was at fault (e.g. being careless) in causinig the injury, the driver and school district (and bus owner/operator, if separate from the distict) may be liable. The key issue is fault; there is no liabiltiy in motor vehicle cases without fault.

A secondary issue is whether it is worth pursuing. You do not describe the extent of your son's injuries or medical costs. Hopefully, he was just shaken up and bruised a bit, or at worst had some sprains and other quickly healed soft tissue injuries. If that's the case, it would most likely not be worthwhile taking legal action, since the amount of money you can recover is related to the extent of his injuries and medical costs, and with little injury or cost, you could not receive enough money to make legal action cost-effective.

If he did suffer a more traumatic injury, it may be worth pursuing. In that case, if you think the bus driver was in the wrong, speak with a personal injury attorney to discuss the facts and circumstances in detail, to see if you do have a worthwhile case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.