What to do if my son was driving his friend’s car and rear-ended another kid’s car?

The kid left the scene before my son and the police were not called. The dad of my son’s friend has claimed to his insurance company that my son did not have permission to drive the car. The father of the kid my son rear-ended has since come and wants the bumper of his sons car replaced. Because he claims my son did not have permission to drive the car his insurance denied the claim to fix the bumper. Now the dad is coming to my son to have him fix the bumper; it is a rusted out mess and the damage was extremely minimal in a completely rusted out spot. Since they did not call the police, is my son liable? We do have pictures of the bumper and car.

Asked on November 1, 2013 under Accident Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written abut, you son may be liable for the costs of repairing the vehicle that he struck. I would place your own insurance carrier on notice about the matter and see what happens or have the father take you to small claims court if you cannot come up with a mutual accord to resolve the problem in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.