What to do if my son had an accident involving damage and was charged with attended vehicle/property damage and disregard of traffic lane signal?

He is 18 and has no job. He applied for a publiic defender and was told because he had $500 in his account for tutution, he was told he didn’t qualify. His court case is in 2 weeks and he has no one to defend him.

Asked on October 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

He should be able to make a plea deal with the prosecutor without an attorney; people do it all the time.  If this date in two weeks is the pretrial conference, the prosecutor will probably approach him and offer him a plea deal.  Since he did cause the accident, he should take it.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.